Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reading List

Years ago I used to be a reader and now, quite honestly, I have lost my passion for it. Being stretched thin and exhausted in college might have had something to do with it. In the past 4 years reading has slowly become less enjoyable, I would tell myself that my brain only has so much space and now is the time to fill it psychology and music theory. 
I want to find my passion again for reading, to get lost in pages, words, and stories written by someone other than myself; finding common ground with the thoughts of authors and the stories of their characters. Below is a list of books I have been wanting/trying to read.
 (1) Anne Lamott has been one of my favorites for a few years, she is honest, witty, and sassy. She presents faith in such a refreshing and oh-so-human way (2) A book set in Seattle and written from the point of view of a dog, yes please.
 (1) The Light Between Oceans has a lot of good vibes around it according to Amazon, I would like to read it and find out for myself (2) I already started reading this gem. Mike and I picked it up at a bookstore on San Juan Island the weekend we got engaged. Being from the land that Steinbeck wrote about, I connect deeply with his books.
 (1) Shauna Niequist seems to put things into words that I have never been able to articulate, I've read Cold Tangerines and I am excited to read more of her. (2) I've never read Kerouac before but I have heard beautiful things about this book. I'm a sucker for books about traveling
 (1) In light of Nelson Mandela's recent passing, I want to reread Cry, the Beloved Country. Set in South Africa, this novel is a beautiful representation of suffering and redemption. I read it in high school for a literature class and I still have quotes from it written in my journal. (2) I also enjoy reading books about the culture in the Middle East (I'm a big fan of Khaled Hosseini's novels). This story is about women in Pakistan and all that they have to endure.
(1) I have been wanting to get back into running long distances again and I have heard wonderful things about this book. My hope is that it will inspire me to sign up for a spring half marathon (2) Sue Monk Kidd is an incredible author and I flipped when I saw she had a new book out. The Secret Life of Bees is honestly one of the most incredible novels I have ever read.

If anyone has any other book recommendations please comment and let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment