Monday, November 3, 2014

Reading List: Women, the "F" Word, and Other Controversial Topics.

Here is a list of books about women. Written by women. But not just for women. Because men write books all the time that are not only marketed for men, but also for women. I don't have a problem if women write books for women, or if men write books for men. But it seems that often, when a women writes a book (particularly in a non-fiction/essay type style) it is to be marketed solely for women. Now this assumption is not a well researched one because I am too lazy and I am not in college anymore, BUT this feeling does stem from what I have perceived and I think it holds some truth. So long story short, just because these are books written by women it doesn't mean they are only for women. Okay. Let's move on.

(Left) Bad Feminist - Roxane Gay: Just started this one... so far it is a really refreshing and healthy conversation about feminism. It clears up a lot of confusion (you know, like when you hear feminism and all you think of is Beyonce...)
(Right) Yes Please - Amy Poehler: I mean, it's Amy Poehler? This book will be amazing. 
(Left) Not that Kind of Girl - Lena Dunham: Oh Lena. I am a fan of Girls. I am not a fan of everything that happens on Girls, with my complaints being on how narcissistic the characters are rather than how graphic the sex scenes are because sex is sex and at least this show is real about it. I appreciate the raw and gritty aspects of Dunham's writing style. I know there is a lot of controversy around Miss Dunham (in fact Roxane Gray criticizes Lena pretty harshly in Bad Feminist for the lack of diversity in Girls, which is an issue) All in all, this book will be intriguing to read. 
(Right) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling: I read this book a few months back and I could not put it down. It made me want to be a comedian. Go read it now. 
(Left) How to be Parisian Wherever You Are: This looks like a guilty pleasure read for sure, but who wouldn't want to be like a Parisian wherever they are?
 (Right) Girl Talk: It is more of a coffee table book than a bus book (which is something you can take with you to read on the bus... obviously.). I previewed some of the pages on Amazon and it looks hilarious.

 And on a more serious note... 
(Left) The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery: Someone recommended this book to me almost 3 years ago. It was one of those things where I was super busy with school but I checked it out from the library anyway, and then read one page and it was due back and someone had a hold on it and I was broke and had no money to buy books for fun, yada yada yada. Although this book isn't about women, it is written by a brilliant one!
 (Right) Girls of Kabul - Jenny Nordberg: This books seems fascinating and heartbreaking. It is about girls in Afghanistan whose parents decide to raise them as boys. 

So there it is. Some books written by women, about women, but remember... not just for women. Because women's thoughts are not only to be heard by women.



No comments:

Post a Comment